Sel at sea

Friday, January 11, 2013

On our way to Hilo


We are walking the hallways and decks as if we are all drunk, swaying from side to side. It will take five days for us to get to Hilo, Hawaii, through open waters. Topy and I are wearing the wrist bands for motion sickness and taking Dramamine, having seen some children of faculty members become sick. We are told over and over again to wash our hands thoroughly and to use hand sanitizers that are in the corridors everywhere.

Our vessel, the MV Explorer, was built a decade ago by a Greek shipping magnate who went bankrupt. It was purchased by the Institute for Shipboard Education in 2006. It has been fitted with classrooms, a library, computer lab, fitness center, a spa, several dining rooms, an amphitheater that holds 900 people, a swimming pool, seven decks and a faculty lounge for adults only.

Our cabin is spacious with plenty of storage space, a refrigerator, a TV (with which we can participate in classes via closed circuit), a desk, a loveseat, a table, telephone and more.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Nobel Peace Prize winner, is available for chats and lectures, as are all the faculty, spouses and the staff of SAS.

I am looking into auditing an anthropology and a world religions class. Women Writers of the World sounds like an interesting one too. In addition we have a choice of four seminars to attend every day. And on this ship we talk only about Day A or Day B (no Mondays thru Sundays). No days of rest really. We also keep losing an hour after so many nautical miles as we sail westward. When asking directions, you have to know if you are at Port or Starboard Side or Forward and Aft of the ship.

It is a learning experience in all sorts of ways.

5 comments:

  1. Sel - it is great to read your blog and to be able to visualize the ship as you describe your cabin and all the other public areas! I hope you & Topy won't get seasick before you reach Hilo though.

    Keep writing - I love following your adventures on the high seas . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sel and Topy...I am excited to begin this adventure with you and look forward to reading your posts. I like the way you have so many options for what and how to learn. As a teacher, I will be paying special attention to how lessons are shared. Thanks for involving all of us in your journey! xoxo and safe travels! Love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hopeful you will both keep those hands clean....and minds alert thruout the whole experience. I look forward to following your adventures.
    Sel...you are lucky to have an editor with you and Topy....you are lucky to have a writer gracious about the input of an editor...I know of whatever I speak...having been her editor on more than one project.
    The one advice given me on how to deal with a swaying ship by a ship's doctor on a cruse to South America lo those many years ago...is: "Go with the flow...don't try to resist."
    With enough martinis...it was advice I really didn't need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sel! What an adventure! Add a widget from the tools section of bloodspot for me to follow you with an automatic feed - if you offer this to your friends we can automatically subscribe to your posts.
    Love that you are blogging and I will look forward to hearing your stories.
    xo rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sel! Perhaps you remember me as Zuki's friend from Medill; we met most recently at Sarah's baby shower.

    My husband and I sailed on two three-week cruises with Semester at Sea in 2011, once through the Panama Canal and once up the Amazon. It's a beautiful ship and I wish I were with you on this voyage! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

    ReplyDelete