Sel at sea

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Personal notes


Followers of my blog have asked for more of my personal impressions and shipboard experiences. I realize I've shared some of this before, so do bear with me. 

When we are not on a side trip, Topy and I wake up around 7 a.m. after a good night's sleep. Every other day, I go up to Deck 7 for about 18 minutes on a bike and 10 or 12 minutes of weight machines. I then go to breakfast which always includes fruit and often yogurt (the malaria pills are more agreeable when taken with a dairy product). The coffee does not taste that great so sometimes I prefer orange or pomegranate juice. I can always purchase iced-coffee or latte at midmorning on Deck 7. The omelets are tasty, and usually there is bacon, sausage or pancakes. I do not pass up freshly baked danishes, cinnamon rolls or croissants. Afraid to gain weight, I get on the scale in the medical clinic every third week. I'm happy to say there are no problems so far.

I seldom attend any of the 8 a.m. classes, however there are interesting classes at 9:25 and 10:50 a.m. If I don't attend one of these, I go up to the spacious, bright and quiet faculty lounge on Deck 7 at the bow to read, check my email or write my blog. Lunch is served from 11:30 until 1:30. The Human Nature, Water for the World and International Law classes beckon me most afternoons. When at sea, we do not pay attention to the days of the week, we go by A or B days, alternating classes accordingly.

There is usually an interesting program for Lifelong Learners at 4 p.m. everyday while at sea, some by the faculty, by the temporary guests and by experts from upcoming ports. Most of us are back at at the lounge by 5 p.m. to enjoy drinks and conversation. We can sign up and pay $5 for appetizers of an upcoming country that for me takes the place of supper.

When I do have dinner, it usually consists of salad, a variety of entrees, including vegetarian fare, dessert and a piece of fruit and goes from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. There are pre- and post-port discussions in the evenings and a variety of other activities including star-gazing, poker games, dance classes and more.

There are documentaries offered on the "loop" on TV sets in our cabins, usually dealing with the countries to which we are going. Just this week, the dean was able to arrange Al Jazeera broadcasts so we know what is going on in the world. There is also closed circuit broadcast of important evening programs from the Student Union to watch from our in beds if we are too tired to attend in person.

We go to bed around 9 p.m., and Topy falls asleep right away, but I read for an hour or two. I have been hooked on Conrad Allen's murder mysteries, thanks to Topy who found five in a series in the fiction section of our 9,000 volume library. I am on book No. 5 now. "Murder on the Lusitania" was the first, and all of the books are written with great flare, intrigue and insight into British and American cultures. They are a delight to read. I downloaded the missing copies onto my iPad.

Left: Conrad Allen is one of the pseudonyms of prolific Welsh writer Keith Miles. The Dillman and Masefield series, featuring private detectives George Porter Dillman and Genevieve Masefield, are set on board ocean liners of the early 1900s.

No comments:

Post a Comment